Thursday, May 19, 2011

"I’m a Nazi," Lars Von Trier said.


Lars Von Trier has attracted controversy with the disturbing visual images he includes in his challenging films. Yet while his latest, “Melancholia,” is receiving relatively positive remarks at Cannes, comments the director made during a press conference have cast him back into the spotlight.
“For a long time I thought I was a Jew and I was happy to be a Jew. Then I met (Danish and Jewish director) Susanne Bier and I wasn’t so happy. But then I found out I was actually a Nazi. My family were German. And that also gave me some pleasure. What can I say? I understand Hitler…I sympathize with him a bit,” Von Trier told the press, according to THR.
The director reportedly attempted to backpedal as his stars, Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg, looked on in horror. Von Trier said he didn’t support World War II, and didn’t hate the Jews. But he kind of was at a loss for words.
“Now how can I get out of this sentence? Ok. I’m a Nazi,” Von Trier said.
Seriously, is anyone who watched Von Trier torture Nicole Kidman, Emily Watson and Bjork on screen surprised to learn the director may be a Nazi?

No comments:

Post a Comment